Plumb, Leslie (2011) Transversal Entanglements; Research-Creation and the design process for Inflexions. Masters thesis, Concordia University.
- Accepted Version
Transversal Entanglements: Research Creation and the design process for Inflexions
This thesis or more appropriately, this written component of my thesis, is a continuation of the agency Research-Creation brought to the design process of Inflexions. Inflexions is an open source interdisciplinary journal for Research-Creation, sponsored by SenseLab . Research-Creation -as it is engaged by this journal- “should be understood as a method of intuition, a technique for expanding perception that puts it into immediate contact with sensation” (Thain 2008, 3). Here, I work to foreground what Alanna Thain is here calling a technique and what Andrew Murphie elsewhere calls a “technics” of distributed agency (Murphie 2009: 2). I suggest that such a technics provoked a transversal and relational design process. This is explored through the Deleuzian and Guittarian concepts of “the relation”, “inflection”, “rhythm”, “becoming”, and the virtual and actual. Further elaborations are made expanding on Erin Manning’s
concept of the “elasticity of the almost” and “preacceleration”. The exploration is invested in bringing new methods of viewing and experiencing to works online that are activated by the relational movements and milieus of the Web.
|Divisions:||Concordia University > Faculty of Arts and Science|
|Item Type:||Thesis (Masters)|
|Program:||Special Individualized Program|
|Date:||15 September 2011|
|Thesis Supervisor(s):||Hughes, Lynn and Manning, Erin|
|Keywords:||Deleuze, Erin Manning, Brian Massumi, transversal, affect, inflection, inflexions, senselab, rhythm, web design, design process, Flash, web journal, emergence, milieu, web experience|
|Deposited By:||LESLIE PLUMB|
|Deposited On:||21 Nov 2011 16:21|
|Last Modified:||21 Nov 2011 16:21|
1. Bergson, Henri. The Idea of Duration”. In Bergson – Key Writings. ed. Keith
Ansell Pearson. London: Continuum, 2002. Print.
2. ---. Matter and Memory. Trans. by N.M. Paul and W.S. Palmer. New York:
Zone, 1990. Print.
3. Bradley, James. “The Speculative Generalization of the Function: A Key to
Whitehead.” Inflexions No. 2, “Rhythmic Nexus: the Felt Togetherness of Movement and Thought.” n.p. (Jan. 2009). n. pag. Web. Jan. 2009.
4. Brunner, Christoph, and Troy Rhoades. “Transversal Fields of Experience.”
Inflexions No. 4, “Transversal Fields of Experience.” n.p. (Dec. 2010). I-viii. Web. Dec. 2010.
5. Carvalho, Margarida. “Affective Territories.” Inflexions No. 3, “Micropolitics:
Exploring Ethico-Aesthetics.” n.p. (Oct. 2009). n. pag. Web. Oct. 2009.
6. Deleuze, Gilles. Francis Bacon: the logic of sensation. Trans. Daniel W.
Smith. London; New York: Continuum, 2003. Print.
7. ---.Difference and Repetition. Trans. Paul Patton. New York: Columbia
University Press, 1994. Print.
8. Deleuze, Gilles, Guattari, Félix. A Thousand Plateaus: capitalism and
schizophrenia. Trans. by Brian Massumi. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 1987. Print.
9. Evens, Aden. Sound Ideas: Music, Machines, and Experience. Minneapolis;
London: University of Minnesota Press, 2005. Print.
10. Guattari, Félix. 1972/2003. Psychanalyse et transversalité. Paris:
11. Guattari, Félix. The Three Ecologies. Trans. Ian Pindar and Paul Sutton.
London; New Brunswick NJ: Athlone Press, 2000. Print.
12. Guattari, Félix. 2008. The Three Ecologies. Trans. Ian Pindar and Paul
Sutton. London/New York: Continuum.
13. Hayles, Katherine N. Electronic Literature: New Horizons for the literary.
Notre Dame, Indiana: University of Notre Dame, 2008. Print.
14. ---. Writing Machines. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press, 2002. Print.
15. Inflexions. n.p. Web. Aug 2011.
16. James, William. 2003. Essays in Radical Empiricism. Mineola, NY: Dover
Publications. Web. June 2009.
17. Langer, Susanne. Feeling and Form. New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons,
1953. Web. Oct. 2010.
18. Latour, Bruno. Interview by Erin Manning, Brian Massumi. “Of Whales and
the Amazon Forest - An Interview with Bruno Latour , 24 Novembrer 2008.” Inflexions No. 3, “Micropolitics: Exploring Ethico-Aesthetics” (Oct. 2009). 95-117. Web. Oct. 2009.
19. Manning, Erin. Relationscapes: movement, art, philosophy. Cambridege,
Mass.: MIT Press, 2009. Print.
20. ---.“Creative Propositions for Thought in Motion.” Inflexions No. 1,
“How is Research-Creation?.” n.p. (May 2008). n. pag. Web. Dec. 2010.
21. Manning, Erin, Hamida, Nasrin. “From Noun to Verb: The Micropolitics of
Making Collective” Interview between Nasrin Himada and Erin Manning.” Inflexions No. 3, “Micropolitics: Exploring Ethico-Aesthetics” (Oct. 2009). I-vii. Web. Oct. 2009.
22. Massumi, Brian. “The Thinking-Feeling of What Happen.” Inflexions No. 1, “How is Research-Creation?” n.p. (May 2008). n. pag. Web. Dec. 2010
23. ---.Parables for the virtual: movement, affect,
sensation. Durham, NC: Duke University Press, 2002. Print.
24. Murphie, Andrew “"Loco-Motion; 14 theses and 21 ghosts for locative and
mobile media." Inflexions No. 4 “Transversal Fields of Relation” (Sept. 2010). n. pag. Web. Dec. 2010
25. ---. “Clone Your Technics: Research creation, radical
empiricism and the constraints of models.” Inflexions No. 1, “How is Research-Creation?” n.p. (May 2008). n. pag. Web. Dec. 2010.
26. Thain, Alanna. “Affective Commotion Minding the Gaps in Research-
Creation.” Inflexions 1, “How is Research-Creation?” n.p. (May 2008). n. pag. Web. Dec. 2010
27. Whitehead, Albert North. Adventure of Ideas. New York: Free Press, 1933. Print.
Repository Staff Only: item control page
Downloads per month over past year