Breadcrumb

 
 

‘The people must have plenty of good books’: The Lady Tweedsmuir Prairie Library Scheme, 1936-40

Title:

‘The people must have plenty of good books’: The Lady Tweedsmuir Prairie Library Scheme, 1936-40

Little, Geoffrey (2012) ‘The people must have plenty of good books’: The Lady Tweedsmuir Prairie Library Scheme, 1936-40. Library and Information History, 28 (2). pp. 103-116. ISSN 1758-3489

[img]Microsoft Word
Available under License Spectrum Terms of Access.

57Kb

Official URL: http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/maney/lih/20...

Abstract

Between 1936 and 1940, the Lady Tweedsmuir Prairie Library Scheme sent approximately 40,000 books to readers in rural areas of the western Canadian provinces of Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta. Founded and directed by Susan Buchan, Lady Tweedsmuir, the wife of the Governor
General of Canada, after visiting Depression-ravaged Prairie communities, the Scheme received the support of philanthropic foundations in Canada and the United States, the Women’s Institute, women’s service organizations,
and individual donors of books. While the Scheme is mentioned in passing in biographies and local histories, little is known about the scope and scale of its activities or how it was organized or operated. Using primary
and archival sources in Canada and the United States, this paper explores the history of the Scheme and its role in the distribution of books, the promotion of literacy, and the creation of libraries in the Canadian West during
the Great Depression.

Divisions:Concordia University > Libraries
Item Type:Article
Refereed:Yes
Authors:Little, Geoffrey
Journal or Publication:Library and Information History
Date:June 2012
ID Code:974102
Deposited By:GEOFFREY LITTLE
Deposited On:04 Jun 2012 14:28
Last Modified:11 Feb 2013 09:53
All items in Spectrum are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved. The use of items is governed by Spectrum's terms of access.

Repository Staff Only: item control page

Document Downloads

More statistics for this item...

Concordia University - Footer