How to Deposit an Article in Spectrum
How to Deposit an Article in Spectrum
Before you begin… Use the Sherpa/RoMEO directory to see whether the journal you have published in allows authors to self-archive a copy of an article in a repository such as Spectrum. You can look up the name of your journal or the name of the publisher. If you would like assistance with this, e-mail Spectrum:firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sherpa/RoMEO will specify which of the following versions may be put in a repository such as Spectrum:
The majority of publishers allow you to deposit the post-print of an article, which is the final manuscript/draft version you submitted to the journal after you made your final corrections.
Most publishers allow authors to post a copy of the pre-print, which is the first draft submitted to the publisher. This is the version of the article that has NOT been peer-reviewed.
Only a minority of publishers allow authors to post a copy of the published version of the article in an institutional repository such as Spectrum. This is the final, copyedited PDF that appears on the journal publisher’s website.
If the publisher allows both pre-prints and post-prints to be deposited, opt to deposit the post-print since it has been peer-reviewed and is the closest possible version to the final published article.
If your journal or publisher does not appear in Sherpa/RoMEO, please send the citation for your publication to Spectrum’s editors at email@example.com and we will investigate with the publisher.
Depositing the Article in Spectrum
If it is your first time using Spectrum, you will need to register. Go to Spectrum and click on "Register." You will need to provide your Netname, Netname password, and your preferred email address. Once you have registered, log in to Spectrum to make deposits.
Note: If you know the Digital Object Identifier (DOI) for your article, there is a shortcut for depositing. Please see "How to Deposit an Article with a DOI (Digital Object Identifier) in Spectrum" at How to Deposit.
Log in to Spectrum with your Concordia Netname and Netname password. You will be on the "Manage Deposits" page.
Click on the "New Item" button.
On the next screen, select the item that best describes the document you are depositing, in this case "Article." Click on "Next."
Click on "Browse" to select the file from your computer and click "Upload."
On the next screen, you will see a Text document icon (depending on the file type you uploaded). If the publisher has specified that you must place an embargo on your article, you can set a date when the article will become fully available. To do this:
- In the metadata section below the Text icon, go to the "Visible to" dropdown menu and select "Repository staff only".
- Specify the "Embargo Expiry Date" in the field provided.
"The items in Spectrum are freely accessible on the Web, for personal research or study only. The full-text version of publications in Spectrum can be downloaded. In some cases, access to content may be limited to the Concordia community only. "
Alternatively, you may wish to make your work available under a Creative Commons License. More information about Creative Commons licenses can be found at http://creativecommons.org/licenses/.
Click Next. On the next screen ("Details"), provide information about your article. Required fields are marked with a red asterisk (). For information about any field, click on the question mark () next to it.
- We recommend that you paste in the abstract for your article. More people will find your article while searching the Web.
- Enter the names of each author. You also have the option to include their email address and/or an ORCID researcher identifier.
- Choose your Concordia department from the drop-down menu marked "Divisions."
- In the "Refereed" section, indicate whether the article has been refereed/peer-reviewed.
- You have the option to add keywords that describe your article. Adding some keywords will help people find your work on the Web.
- You have the option to paste in your references as well. Although not required, adding references improves the findability of your work on the Web.
- When you have finished entering information about your article, click on “Next.” If you have forgotten to fill in any required fields, Spectrum will remind you.
Read the Concordia University Research Repository Non-Exclusive License. To complete the deposit process, select "Deposit Item Now." If you are not ready you may click "Save for later."
Once you click "Deposit Item Now" you will see the following messages
- Item has been deposited.
- Your item will not appear on the public website until it has been checked by an editor.
Your article will not be online immediately. After you deposit, your article will be checked by a Spectrum editor before it is put online.
Thank you for your deposit!
If you need help, please contact Spectrum editors at firstname.lastname@example.org.